Palermo School counselor-Mrs. Applegate
Mrs. Applegate is available every day but Wednesdays. the best number to reach her is 533-4708 x 107 or 530-433-9130
The School Counselor’s Role
Professional School Counselors are trained in both education and counseling, allowing them to function as a facilitator between parents, teachers and students in matters concerning students goals, abilities and any areas needing improvement. School Counselors are professional educators with a mental health perspective who understand and respond to the challenges presented by today’s diverse student population.
School Counseling Program Goals
School Counseling Programs serve as a resource for all students, school staff, and parents in the district; provides comprehensive social-emotional and behavioral support services that enhance school climate and optimize the learning and social-emotional competencies of all students. This is done through a variety of services and activities provided within the 3 school counseling domains; academic, career and personal/social development using direct delivery systems; guidance and curriculum, responsive services, systems support, individual student planning and student advocacy.
Students, I am here to help you with:
- Working out friendship problems
- Setting Goals
- Working well with others
- Feeling good about yourself
- Adjusting to a new school
- Learning how to make decisions
- Managing your feelings (stress, worry, anger, etc.)
- Addressing anxiety or depression
- Dealing with peer pressure and bullying
Parents, I am available to assist and provide you with:
- Exploring ways to help your child succeed
- Improving parent-child communications
- Referrals for community sources
- Understanding the developmental changes of childhood
- Supply reference materials
- Information to help understand your child’s special needs
- Classroom Presentations
- Group Counseling (social skills, study skills, grief, divorce, etc.)
- Brief Solution-Focused Individual Counseling
- Parent Consultations
- Community Resource Referrals
*Please note school counselors do not provide “therapy” or “traditional counseling”.
Referrals for outside counseling services are available for children experiencing grief, divorce, family separation, and or other mental health concerns.